Have you see the TV-14 rating and wondered what it means?
Today, we are going to tell you exactly what TV 14 means and if this is something that children should be watching.
Keep reading if you’re ready to learn more.
What Does TV-14 Rating Mean?
When you see the rating TV-14, it means that the content is not suitable for children 14 and younger. Television shows with this rating will have content that has strong coarse language (L), highly suggestive dialogue (D), intense violence (V) or intense situations of a sexual nature (S). It is suggested that parents should take caution when allowing children to watch these types of shows.
You will usually see TV-14 DSLV appear in the top right hand corner at the beginning of specific shows. Let’s take a look at what DSLV means.
- Example of Suggestive Dialogue(D): A man makes an off-key remark about a woman’s physique.
- Example of Coarse Language (L): Someone using curse words in different instance.
- Example of Sexual Situations (S): A couple who are in bed, where it is implied that they are having sex.
- Example of Intense Violence (V): A shootout scene involving firearms.
Is TV 14 The Same as PG 13?
You probably are thinking if there is a different between TV 14 vs PG-13 ratings. There is a difference. You will often see one rating for TV shows and the other used for movies.
- TV-14 rating use for TV show: Cable network channels, broadcast network and streaming services such as Netflix, Disney+ & Hulu use these ratings.
- PG-13 rating is use for theatrical releases: Movies found in theaters use the PG13 rating and this is governed by the Motion Picture Association of America.
The biggest different between the two aside from it being for TV or movies is that PG-13 is limited to 13 and younger, while TV-14 is limited to 14 and younger.
Best TV-14 Television Shows
While TV-14 shows are limited to children under 14, many older teens enjoy this type of programming. We have put together a list of some of the best shows on Netflix, Disney+ and Hulu that have this rating.
Best TV-14 Shows on Netflix
There is a wide selection of TV-14 shows on Netflix. The options vary from reality TV shows, comedies, dramas and some documentaries.
Here are a couple of our favorites:
- The Blacklist
- Stranger Things
- Better Call Saul
- Law & Order SVU
- Grey’s Anatomy
- Criminal Minds
- The Umbrella Academy
Best TV-14 Shows on Disney Plus
There is a limited selection of television shows on Disney+ with this rating. Here are some options available.
- Loki (TV series)
- The Mandolorian
- Wicked Tuna
Best TV-14 Shows on Hulu
The options from Hulu for good TV 14 programming is vast.
Here are some we absolutely love:
- American Dad
- Bob’s Burgers
- Modern Family
- Rick and Morty
Wrapping it up
We’ve now reached the end and you should have a better understanding of what TV-14 means.
Remember, this rating is given to shows that may not be suitable for younger audiences. If you’re looking for something that’s appropriate for all ages, you should look for shows that are rated TV-Y7 or lower.
Now I want to hear from you
Do you have any favorite TV-14 shows? Let me know in the comments below.